Sunday, September 9, 2012

Opera

I don't particularly care for opera.

The vocal styles aren't usually to my liking, the melodies are unlike anything I'm used to, and I generally prefer to understand what the singer is saying, which I usually can't do even if the work is in English.

...So why do I keep coming back?

The plots stretch even the generous credulity granted to the stage, the characters are oh so flat, and dear God. So. Much. Sex.

So why do I keep coming back?

I often ask myself that question.

Maybe I love performance, no matter how it's packaged.

Maybe I love to see human beings using their God-given talents to the fullest.

Maybe I love the process of learning, or the challenge of something I have yet to conquer.


Maybe it's a combination of all of these.

Or maybe - and this is, I think, my ultimate stance - I love to create.

That's what we artists are called to do, isn't it? Some of us are given a canvas on which to create, others an empty journal or a blank score.

I have been given the stage. Opera and all.

3 comments: